Application deadline: March 6, 2020
We are seeking a tech savvy individual to manage a portfolio of grants that address the most important trends for how communities are informed and engaged in the digital age.
If you have worked on Smart Cities initiatives or implemented new technology solutions in cities and are passionate about harnessing the potential of technology to help build stronger, thriving and more engaged communities, we want to hear from you.
As the program officer, you will report to and partner with the director of national strategy and technology innovation to implement Knight Foundation’s Smart Cities grantmaking strategy. You will also work in close collaboration with our program staff in the eight communities where the foundation has offices (Akron, Ohio, Charlotte, NC, Detroit, Macon, Ga., Miami, Philadelphia, San Jose, Calif. and St. Paul, Minn.) to accelerate and amplify our local investments.
While based in Miami, the job requires significant travel to our communities and various convenings.
- Evaluate and recommend action on funding requests.
- Track grant results and make recommendations to enhance the quality and effectiveness of program outcomes.
- Develop written reports for senior management.
- Prepare documentation to share with foundation trustees, partners and staff.
- Manage grant-related projects.
- Plan and coordinate events.
Things we look for in a successful candidate:
- A strong project manager who can drive work to deadlines in a fast-paced, high volume environment.
- Experience in developing and implementing civic technology solutions.
- An ability to leverage networks of leaders, partners and innovators.
- A problem solver.
- Curiosity and a strong desire to learn.
Knight Foundation is a national foundation with strong local roots. We invest in journalism, in the arts, and in the success of cities where brothers John S. and James L. Knight once published newspapers. Our goal is to foster informed and engaged communities, which we believe are essential for a healthy democracy.
Our approach is inclusive and non-partisan; we value freedoms of speech and the press, and we often embrace new and innovative technology to achieve our goals. The qualities we look for are openness to new ideas; courage to push for change; and the expertise and tenacity to achieve the desired results. Tell us what excites you about this opportunity and why you are right for it.